Thursday, October 1, 2009

In a holding pattern...

The weather gods haven't allowed us to land at McMurdo yet so I'm still in Christ Church enjoying an unexpected week of vacation. There is some of this... Some of this....






And some of this...



And to top it all off I got to use a bike with a kickstand. I haven't used one since I was 10 so it was all good. Everyone knows the inevitable fun that comes with a bike with the fixings. Except when I chained it up to go have lunch I came back to the tide having come in and almost swallowing little Red. When I left it the water was just to where the water turns to glass in the picture. Oops, forgot my tide tables. By the time I got it unchained the water was ankle deep.



The kickstand worked as well as it did when I was 10.



Just a glory picture here.


The cathedral is gorgeous and the sunsets from here are amazing. We got some hiking in but the fog rolled in just in time to ruin our view. Lots of time has been spent having morning coffee while watching people enjoy the market, listening to musicians and catching up on my reading.





The Avon River weaving through the Botanical Gardens. The last river I'll see for a while.











I'm enjoying fine cuisine and great wine from local wineries. Of course I'm studying about hip dysplasia and lumbar pathology in most of my spare time. I swear! I'm on the manifest for tomorrow's flight to McMurdo so I hope the next update will be from the ice!




















































2 comments:

  1. amazing--everything looks so pretty! I'm glad you're getting some relaxation for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandie it's Saturday the 3rd. Where are you? Jeff, Meagan, Kevin, Tuck and I watched CAL get their ass served to them by USC tonight (BOOOO). We already miss you and hope you're having fun. Hi from everyone. Keep us posted, OK? We had other interesting conversation that we wanted to share with you, but I'll save it for email (you know how this group can get).
    XO Andi and the group.

    ReplyDelete