Saturday, October 10, 2009

Think Penguin

I am starting to settle into my routine now. The days I get to take showers are not that different from the ones I don't. I just get in and get out and then head to the galley for breakfast. Then onto the clinic for work. I am relying heavily on my old REI mug from my Missoula grad school days. Hot tea is the drink of choice since I can nurse it all day. The New Zealand station (Scott Base) invited me over for dinner on Thursday to meet the medical staff there. It's "America Night" on Thursdays for drinks and socializing. The dinner is "invite only" since their station is so small. I got to join them for dinner which was very nice. They were such generous and gracious host. Here is a photo of Mt. Discovery from Scott Base (the peak that I saw when I first landed). Scott was the Brit who wanted to be first to the South Pole but ended up being second.

Here is Scott Base with pressure ridges in the background. These are ridges that are formed when the "fast" ice meets the "slow ice" and creates a transition zone.

McMurdo station is much bigger than Scott Base. They are connected by a road which I plan on running when the weather improves.

Here are more pressure ridges. Just to the left of the island in the picture is the way to the South Pole.
From Scott Base you have a better view of Mt. Terror and Mt. Erebus. These were named after Ross' ships when he discovered this area long before the race for the Pole. Mt. Terror (below is an inactive volcano).

Mt. Erebus (below) is an active volcano as can be seen by the plume over its summit.

We sort our garbage on a whole new level here. In accordance with the Antarctic Treaty everybody has to do their part to minimize our impact. I already thought I was diligent with my recycling but the bins shown actually extend the whole length of the wall and there is a bin for anything and everything.

The daily allowance of alcohol one can buy from the store is regulated. So far I've only gotten a bottle of wine but the beer moves out of the store quite fast.

My schedule is starting to get busy. The winter-over folks are mostly gone now and the poeople that make up Mainbody (the term for the summer people) are coming in continuously as long as the planes are cleared to land. There is a period between winter and summer called Winfly (winter fly-in). People who come in for Winfly get here on the first possible flight after the winter. The only flights in/out during the winter are Medevacs. It's starting to get busier around here. When the researchers (grantees) come they come for shorter periods (2-18 weeks depending on what their project entails). To get a research grant here is very competitive. Only the best of the best are here and they are in the top of their respective field. That being said, I met a group from Montana State University today:-)

Here is a nice shot of my physical therapy clinic. It's one room in the back of the medical clinic. Notice the volleyball net holding up the exercise ball and the space heater pointed right at my chair.
And best of all I found a game of Trivial Pursuit! It's my favorite boardgame. Now I just have to find a willing opponent.












1 comment:

  1. I think the finding of Trivial Pursuit and getting to hang out with cool people from New Zealand ALMOST makes up for the booze rations...ha ha! Just kidding--it seems like you're adjusting to your new life quite well down there! I love the pics! Keep on posting!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete