Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Goodbye for a while Seattle...make that goodbye Northern Hemisphere

I hit SeaTac with two big duffels and plans for an initial flight to Denver for orientation (Littleton actually). I was put up in a hotel so my sister, Amie, came by for a visit. Before I left Seattle I spent some good quality time with my nephew practicing his "M"s. He got the M down but Man-die was a bit much. Thanks for the awesome farewell dinner Matt and Jane!

Orientation has been full of exciting pictures from the ice and good advice. Of course some of it is just plain common sense (i.e. wear gloves if it's 60 degrees below zero). People are really energetic. Just the coolest bunch of people with the most interesting stories. I am the only one in my group who is going down for the first time. Everyone else has been there 3, 6, 15 times. Crazy hard core! A mix of very smart grad school types, people who look like they stepped off an Alaskan fishing rig and just a few who look like they might spend their free time trying to build a spaceship to Mars. The scientists don't come down for another month or so (except for those that wintered over and will be leaving as I get there). I am part of the support structure that will be in place when the researchers get there so their projects can run smoothly. Tomorrow I head to LA-Sydney-Christchurch and then it is game on!







No comments:

Post a Comment